I market for a commercial construction company, which is not the first place anyone thinks of when they picture social media marketing. People picture a beauty brand's TikTok or a fast food account roasting someone in the comments. Nobody pictures a general contractor posting about a concrete pour. But that's kind of the point. This industry has run on relationships and word of mouth for decades, and watching it slowly figure out that it needs a social presence too has been the most useful thing I've gotten out of this class so far.
Social proof isn't optional anymore, even here
One thing we've talked about in class that keeps showing up at my job is how social media went from a nice-to-have to something closer to due diligence. HubSpot's 2026 marketing data shows most B2B buyers now use social media to check out a company before they ever talk to a salesperson. Once you know that, a company page stops looking like decoration and starts looking like part of the sales process, even if nobody officially calls it that.
I notice this most when we're putting together an RFP response. I know the review committee is going to look us up before they read a word of the proposal. If our page shows finished projects, a voice that sounds like an actual person, and proof we're still an active company doing real work, that's already doing some convincing before we ever walk into the room.
Project spotlights, and why the award post mattered more than the award
A big chunk of what I post is project recaps: photos from a finished build, a bit about the client, what the challenge was, the usual brand tagline tacked on at the end. We've done these for senior living communities, industrial buildings, schools, all kinds of sectors. A while back one of our projects won a regional award for best industrial project, and instead of just posting the announcement and moving on, we built a little run of content around it. Part of that is because an outside group vouching for you carries more weight than a company saying it about itself. Research on B2B social strategy backs that up too, but honestly I noticed it before I read a single stat. People just trust a third party more than they trust an ad.
We also did a 50th anniversary campaign a while back that leaned into old photos and company history instead of trying to sell anything. That one surprised me. It got more comments and shares than most of our project posts, which told me people don't just want to see finished buildings, they want a story.
So is it actually relevant here?
Yes, and I'll admit I wasn't sure at first. Construction seems like an industry that could survive on reputation and relationships alone without ever touching a content calendar. But B2B social media statistics show salespeople who use social as part of their process outperform the ones who don't, and social outreach gets a much better response than a cold email or cold call. Reputation is still what wins projects in this field. Social media is just how that reputation gets seen by people before you've ever met them.
It changes how the company works, not just how it looks
Content isn't just something we make after a project wraps up. It changes what happens during the project. If I know we'll need good photos for social and for future proposals, I'm pushing to get a photographer on site while the work is happening, not scrambling for pictures afterward. If I know an award or a milestone is coming, that turns into a planned push instead of a quick announcement. Marketing ends up talking to the operations side more because of this, not less, since good content depends on someone documenting the actual work as it happens.
There's an internal side to this too that's easy to miss. Our own employees see this content, and a well-told project story does something for morale and recruiting, not just for clients. LinkedIn's data on social selling shows companies that lean on employee advocacy outperform ones that don't, and I'd say that matches what I've seen. Posts our own people share tend to be the ones that do best outside the company too.
Where I think this is going
My guess is social media keeps shifting from being marketing's job to being everyone's job, at least a little. Current B2B strategy guidance points to individual employees and leaders, not just brand pages, as the strongest source of content and trust now. That matches construction too. The posts that do best are usually the ones with an actual person in them, quoted or pictured, not just a logo. The company that wins isn't necessarily the one spending the most. It's the one that shows up consistently and tells something true instead of something generic.
None of this replaced the relationship-based way this industry has always worked. It just gave that reputation somewhere public to live. I didn't expect a marketing class to make me think differently about a job I already have, but here we are.
Comments
Post a Comment